.I.Believe.That.Happiness.Is.Something.We.Create.

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

resolutions: part 1

With the new year quickly approaching I've been thinking about things that I want to start, or just improve on. When I think about it, I'm not sure I even believe in new year's resolutions because for the most part, I've never seen anyone actually follow through for a whole year. So I'm taking a different approach. I'm going to have a resolution for each month of the year. The way I see it, if you start a good habit and stick with it for a month, then it will be easy to stick with it all year. So I will start with one, and by the end of the year, I will be doing 12 things to improve myself in some way. We'll see how it goes.

So here they are...

January- Go to the gym at least 5 days a week for at least an hour and half.
February- Drink more water: 5 (16 oz.) bottles everyday.
March- Cut out soft drinks completely
April- Fast food only twice a month
May- Eat a healthy breakfast everyday
June- School won't be in anymore and I'll be home for the summer so I won't have free access to the gym at school and since I refuse to actually pay for a gym membership I will go to the park and jog/walk 3 miles 5 days a week
July- Jump rope for 15 minutes every other day
August-
September- School starts back so I'll start the whole gym thing back up
October-
November
December-

Obviously, there are still some blank...I'm still thinking :)

7 comments:

  1. Nice to see you're giving up soft drinks for Lent again... ;)

    That's cool that you're doing this and I like the month-by-month approach, I'm getting ready to post something to my blog as well. Perhaps something else you could add would be to decrease the number of sweets you eat, etc., but I'm not one to really talk on that matter... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. and p.s. I did that for Lent last year..duh...I'll have to think of something new for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh...Lent lasts more than a week... :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. - OK, some other thoughts...

    1) Get x hours of sleep per night. Don't know if you're doing that now, but a good night's rest is great for a healthy lifestyle.

    2) Learn how to cook a new meal from scratch every 3 days or every week in a month or something. Using fresh vegetables, fruits, meats, etc. vs. packaged and pre-processed stuff is great for your body. Stirring gravy does not count ;)

    3) Maybe use a month to try different fitness routines or sports or something...swim for a workout...play tennis...go skiing...skating...get a summer bowling pass and do that every day...

    4) Limit sodium intake. Find other seasonings to add besides salt. Kinda related to #2.

    5) Make sure to record your progress and have your goals visible - this is something to do throughout the year vs. one month. I know the times this past year when I did my best is when I was writing things down and measuring myself. But most of all...

    HAVE FUN AND GOOD LUCK!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jasher, I'm so glad that you're always so full of great advice :)

    p.s. Lent can last however long you want it to...according to me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anytime :)

    P.S. - That's why you're a bad Catholic... ;)

    ReplyDelete