.I.Believe.That.Happiness.Is.Something.We.Create.

Sunday, December 20, 2009

school :/

If I made a list of my favorite things, school would be towards the bottom...the very bottom. I'm not sure why I don't like school. It may be because of the lengthy papers, the large reading assignments, the pointless classes that I have to take (e.g. statistics, biology, earth science...the list goes on and on and on and on). It really bothers me that I have to take all of these classes and learn these things that more than likely I won't use after graduating.

But there is a positive that comes from all of this. I love the feeling of accomplishment that I get at the end of each semester. So I guess, the main thing that I've learned so far through school is this: No matter how difficult, complicated, or irritating the way, if I keep in mind the value of the outcome, it will all be worth it in the end.

This semester has by far been my best and I will admit it's very accomplishing to see those good grades :)

In one of my favorite talks President Hinckley said something that keeps me going when I get frustrated with school (which surprise surprise, is very often :)),

"You are moving into the most competitive age the world has ever known. All around you is competition. You need all the education you can get. Sacrifice a car; sacrifice anything that is needed to be sacrificed to qualify yourselves to do the work of the world. That world will in large measure pay you what it thinks you are worth, and your worth will increase as you gain education and proficiency in your chosen field.

You belong to a church that teaches the importance of education. You have a mandate from the Lord to educate your minds and your hearts and your hands. The Lord has said, “Teach ye diligently … of things both in heaven and in the earth, and under the earth; things which have been, things which are, things which must shortly come to pass; things which are at home, things which are abroad; the wars and the perplexities of the nations, and the judgments which are on the land; and a knowledge also of countries and of kingdoms—that ye may be prepared in all things” (D&C 88:78–80).

Mind you, these are not my words. These are the words of the Lord who loves you. He wants you to train your minds and hands to become an influence for good as you go forward with your lives. And as you do so and as you perform honorably and with excellence, you will bring honor to the Church, for you will be regarded as a man or woman of integrity and ability and conscientious workmanship. Be smart. Don’t be foolish. You cannot bluff or cheat others without bluffing or cheating yourselves."

I love the reassuring words of the Prophet and the confidence that the Lord has in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment